From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Spam (was Re: Hey SEXY)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:09:36
1 Alan [alan@×××××.org] wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 02:12:31AM +0200, Henrik Treadup wrote:
3 > > I don't like the idea of closing this list. If you close it you will still
4 > > have problems with spam in the open lists; user, newbie etc. A better way
5 > > of doing things would be to filter out the spam completley on all the
6 > > lists.
7 > > There was an interesting thread about Bayesian spam filtering on slashdot
8 > > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/17/1746248&mode=thread&tid=111
9 > > a while ago discussing Paul Grahams essay A Plan for Spam
10 > > http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html
11 > >
12 > > The statistical approach described there would have filtered out all spam
13 > > I have seen on this list so far. (How many non spam email contain the words
14 > > 'dear' and 'madam' ?)
15 > >
16 > > You might wan't to check out ESR's implementation
17 > > http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net
18 >
19 > Or filter the list through spamassassin before it goes out to mailman (or
20 > something like that).
21
22 Close the list Filter the lists
23 False Positives No Yes
24 100% effective Yes No
25
26 Hrm...choice seems clear to me. Filtering spam on a
27 mailing list is a bad idea. It's one thing for an
28 individual user to decide an acceptable level of risk
29 for false positives, it's quite another to choose that
30 for an entire list. Just my two cents.