From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Proposal: Social Contract change & What is "Gentoo" ?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:35:26
1 Sven Vermeulen posted <20040909122534.GA8423@g.o>, excerpted below,
2 on Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:25:35 +0200:
3
4 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/contract.html
5 >
6 > I've changed the wording in the draft to read:
7 >
8 > Gentoo is the collection of:
9 >
10 > * free knowledge such as documentation and metadata about
11 > concepts/domains relevant to operating systems and their components,
12 > contributed by various developers to the Gentoo project
13 > * free software developed by various Gentoo developers and
14 > contributed to the Gentoo project
17 > Is this an improvement?
18
19 Answers my objection, definitely.
20
21 I did notice the contrasted wording between the two clauses,
22
23 * free knowledge... contributed by /various/ /developers/..
24
25 * free software... developed by /various/ /Gentoo/ /developers/..
26
27 Was the omission of the word /Gentoo/ in the first case intentional? More
28 precisely, is there a policy difference between documentation/metadata,
29 and software, such that contributions are accepted from a wider pool
30 (lacking the Gentoo specifier in various developers) in the case of the
31 former, as contrasted with the latter?
32
33 This is admittedly on the level of nit-picking, here. I just saw the
34 parallel in the wording and wondered why the /Gentoo/ specifier was
35 included in the second case but not the first. Unless there's a policy
36 difference (and I can see where there could be, documentation/metadata
37 doesn't quite have the security implications of executable code, after
38 all), I'd expect them to be parallel. I'm just not familiar enough yet
39 with Gentoo policy to know if that difference is deliberate or not, and
40 reading it, that's the question that came to my mind.
41
42 In any case, it's certainly better to my way of thinking than the former,
43 as the question of scope of claim is addressed, now. As well, you did it
44 in fewer words than my proposal. Concise is good (and not one of my
45 strongest points)! =:^)
49 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
50 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
51 Benjamin Franklin
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list