From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Concerns about WIPE_TMP change
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:48:07
1 Duncan wrote:
2 >
3 > Obscure? It's the directory name (says another with both /tmp and /var/
4 > tmp on tmpfs). How much less obscure can you get than announcing it
5 > every time the path is referenced or specified? Who could reasonably
6 > argue that tmp doesn't mean tmp?
9 Anybody who comes from the world of Windows - where temp directories
10 aren't cleaned and usually eventually grow to 1/3rd of the disk on a
11 typical spyware-laden install?
12
13 You and I know what /tmp is for, but we also know that we shouldn't be
14 running as root all the time and yet I'm sure there is a note in the
15 install handbook about that. 95% of new linux users come from Windows,
16 and as such they have a few bad habits that they'd probably be all to
17 happy to lose if somebody takes the time to point them out.
18
19 In any case, an elog should solve the problem...
20 --
21 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list