From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Concerns about WIPE_TMP change
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 02:38:22
1 On 08:47 Sun 20 Jan , Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > Duncan wrote:
3 >> Obscure? It's the directory name (says another with both /tmp and /var/
4 >> tmp on tmpfs). How much less obscure can you get than announcing it every
5 >> time the path is referenced or specified? Who could reasonably argue that
6 >> tmp doesn't mean tmp?
7 >
8 > Anybody who comes from the world of Windows - where temp directories aren't
9 > cleaned and usually eventually grow to 1/3rd of the disk on a typical
10 > spyware-laden install?
11 >
12 > You and I know what /tmp is for, but we also know that we shouldn't be
13 > running as root all the time and yet I'm sure there is a note in the
14 > install handbook about that. 95% of new linux users come from Windows, and
15 > as such they have a few bad habits that they'd probably be all to happy to
16 > lose if somebody takes the time to point them out.
17
18 Just one other point here. 95% of new Linux users is not 95% of new
19 Gentoo Linux users.
20
21 Thanks,
22 Donnie