From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 15:37:21
1 Listen, I'd like to chime in on this thread. Our policy (where "our"
2 reflects Gentoo DevRel -- DevRel == Developer Relations) is that if you
3 want to be a dev, don't ask to be a dev, just be a dev. You don't NEED
4 CVS access to develop, just to commit something to the tree. In that
5 regard, Avenj's point (about proving thyself) was simply: do the work,
6 create a relationship with the gentoo dev team via bug day or through
7 bugzilla and cvs access follows as a natural course. It's not
8 specifically a wall, as much as it is establishing a relationship of
9 mutual trust. That does NOT mean that fraternising with the devs grants
10 you developerhood, what it does mean is that if your work is going by
11 seemingly unnoticed, point it out to someone. More often than not,
12 however, one of the developers at least will notice your work.
13
14 As for ebuilds sitting in the tree for a year, that means a couple of
15 things:
16
17 1. Nobody on the dev team has the hardware to test it (like the
18 opensmartcard bug [1]).
19
20 2. There is simply a low demand for that -- if more people tested and
21 chimed in on a bug with their results it would likely see more action.
22
23 You see, I've taken on maintainership for some packages, with the
24 express understanding that any bugs get assigned to the initial
25 submitter.
26
27 Basically, things can be worked out, you just have to talk to someone
28 about it. Hope that helps.
29
30 Thanks,
35 Seemant Kulleen
36 Developer and Project Co-ordinator,
37 Gentoo Linux http://dev.gentoo.org/~seemant
38
39 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
40 Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E