From: Robert Cole <robert.cole@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:17:34
1 On Mon January 05 2004 11:36 pm, Allen Parker wrote:
2 <snip>
3
4 > Basically, I just find that the entire ebuild submission process could
5 > definitely be streamlined as to take less dev time and be more rewarding
6 > for the users actually doing the submissions. Including having user
7 > response saying, "hey, so and so just bumped package-x.y.y to package-x.y.z
8 > and it builds fine with a renamed and digested ebuild."
9
10 I couldn't agree more. After all whats the ARCH for anyway if it's not really
11 being used. My contributions in the past have been along the lines and
12 compiling and testing and summiting info. I've got 7 systems to crunch with
13 and they all use distcc. So testing and submitting bug reports to
14 bugs.gentoo.org, kde.org, openoffice.org, etc has been my way of
15 contributing. Now I've devoted 3 of my best systems to get really serious
16 about giving back even more.
17
18 But I want to know if the brick wall that others have hit is still there or
19 not. There's been a bit o conflict in teh past where gentoo will call for
20 maintainers for certain projects yet previously slapped down up and coming
21 devs that want to maintain a different project. Why would they volunteer for
22 the requested project after being hammered previously even if they have the
23 skill to do the requested one? Would you? Who would? From my understanding
24 the devs are overwhelmed right now with maintaining the current tree and need
25 more people to take on maintaining packages. The egos need to go by by and
26 just do a quick check to see if the ebuild and the dev have followed policy
27 and mark the thing ~x86 or whatever arch it is and toss it out. If it floats
28 then great they've proven themselves. If it sinks then a bit more education
29 is in order, pull the package and politely ask the new dev to find and fix
30 the problem and describe clearly what the problem was and what they did to
31 fix it and if it apears they understand the problem and had a good solution
32 toss it back in the tree to go again. It would likely float the second time.
33
34 I'm not suggesting giving someone new with no established background any sort
35 of access. What I'm suggesting is basically what Allen spoke of in just
36 encouraging more contributions but accepting ebuilds faster and the person
37 with the proper access toss it in the tree.
38
39 Robert
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list