From: Peter Faraday Weller <welp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Retiring
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 18:32:22
1 On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 01:45 +0300, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 05 May 2009 23:45:14 AllenJB wrote:
3 [..snip..]
4 > I am sure there are some developers which can offer a great amount of time to
5 > help/revibe slacking or dead projects ( e.g. userrel, newsletters etc ). The
6 > thing is that leadership on several projects is inactive hence users or devs
7 > who are willing to help are getting demotivated. It would be really nice each
8 > individual project to perform a clean up like:
9 >
10 > 1) have an internal discussion about its goals and future
11 > 2) Remove dead members and elect a new leader if necessary
12 > 3) Update the page
13 > 4) Publish its status
14 > 5) Assist for help is necessary
15 >
16 > Looking 'active' is very important to attract new people to project.
17 >
18 > Is this so hard?
19
20 This is a really good idea, and I think that such an operation should be
21 performed (and perhaps even enforced as a yearly or twice-yearly thing).
22 The only issue I have with the idea is that projects with dead members
23 and slacking leaders are unlikely to perform such a task, so you'll
24 never get any updates from them, so devs will be demotivated to work on
25 $project, and thus we enter the vicious cycle again...
26
27 welp