From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Retiring
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 22:45:53
1 On Tuesday 05 May 2009 23:45:14 AllenJB wrote:
2 > George Prowse wrote:
3 > > Peter Faraday Weller wrote:
4 > >> Hi....
5 > >>
6 > >> Thanks,
7 > >> welp
8 > >
9 > > Sad to hear it mate.
10 > >
11 > > As the person who did your first install for you (i think) I think you
12 > > will be missed.
13 > >
14 > > I am quite surprised about what you said about the state of things
15 > > because i've got the distinct impression from others that Gentoo has
16 > > been improving in the past 12 months.
17 > >
18 > > About the lack of the developers, something I proposed about 3 years ago
19 > > might be applicable: has Gentoo ever thought about doing a "Dev Day" in
20 > > much the same way as the "Bug Days"? Advertise a day where people can
21 > > come and have a chat with developers and get coached because there is a
22 > > vast amount of people and knowledge out there and I never see anything
23 > > about Gentoo wanting people.
24 > >
25 > > If you book them, they will come.
26 > >
27 > > G
28 >
29 > In my opinion, such a drive wouldn't work.
30 >[..]
31 > As always, I realize this would take time to change, but I (again) think
32 > there's a good chance that it would improve contributions (on the basis
33 > that potential contributors are more likely to actually contribute if
34 > they can find what they want to work on easily).
37 > AllenJB
38 I am sure there are some developers which can offer a great amount of time to
39 help/revibe slacking or dead projects ( e.g. userrel, newsletters etc ). The
40 thing is that leadership on several projects is inactive hence users or devs
41 who are willing to help are getting demotivated. It would be really nice each
42 individual project to perform a clean up like:
43
44 1) have an internal discussion about its goals and future
45 2) Remove dead members and elect a new leader if necessary
46 3) Update the page
47 4) Publish its status
48 5) Assist for help is necessary
49
50 Looking 'active' is very important to attract new people to project.
51
52 Is this so hard?
53 --
54 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
55 Gentoo Linux Developer [KDE/Qt/Sound/Sunrise]
56 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org