From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Retiring
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 20:45:22
1 George Prowse wrote:
2 > Peter Faraday Weller wrote:
3 >> Hi....
4 >>
5 >> Thanks,
6 >> welp
7 >
8 > Sad to hear it mate.
9 >
10 > As the person who did your first install for you (i think) I think you
11 > will be missed.
12 >
13 > I am quite surprised about what you said about the state of things
14 > because i've got the distinct impression from others that Gentoo has
15 > been improving in the past 12 months.
16 >
17 > About the lack of the developers, something I proposed about 3 years ago
18 > might be applicable: has Gentoo ever thought about doing a "Dev Day" in
19 > much the same way as the "Bug Days"? Advertise a day where people can
20 > come and have a chat with developers and get coached because there is a
21 > vast amount of people and knowledge out there and I never see anything
22 > about Gentoo wanting people.
23 >
24 > If you book them, they will come.
25 >
26 > G
29 In my opinion, such a drive wouldn't work. I've said it before in
31 blog posts[0]: I think Gentoo needs to improve the organisation of the
32 projects. I know it takes developer time to update project pages and do
33 things like maintaining the "developers wanted" pages, but I think that
34 Gentoo would see this returned in a higher number of competent
35 developers. One of the biggest problems I have as someone considering
36 becoming a developer is following what's going on and working out where
37 I could make contributions that are both something I would enjoy doing
38 and would be useful for current milestones (eg. autobuilds handbooks or
39 improving / stabilizing KDE4) that are being worked on.
40
41 [0] http://allenjb.me.uk/category/linux/gentoo
44 On a related note, I thought the recent email from the Prefix project to
45 the -devel list was excellent - it's exactly the sort of thing I would
46 hope to find on a projects page on gentoo.org. It contains a detailed
47 explanation of the project, its purpose, current state and aims and
48 includes a roadmap so that (potential) contributors can easily see where
49 they can help out in a way that will be considered useful by the
50 development team.
53 I would also like to see some less secrecy for things that are going on.
54 For example, I know that the newsletter team are currently working on a
55 new setup for the newsletter. While I somewhat understand some of the
56 reasons that the developers involved have chosen to not give out
57 information on this project, I question the overall value in keeping
58 such projects secret in this manner. A project page with the current
59 progress and a roadmap of the project on would not only keep everyone
60 informed, but might encourage contributions (in the form of solving any
61 specific problems the developers are having, for example, or in the case
62 of the newsletter, preparing content to contribute).
63
64 I've also spoken before on the "bus factor", which I believe comes into
65 play here. As far as I know only one or two developers are working on
66 the project and if they were to disappear for a length of time for any
67 reason, (virtually) all current knowledge of the project, its progress
68 and its code / setup would be lost.
71 This leads me on to another issue I have with Gentoo development, which
72 I believe is related, and that is the organisation of the source code
73 repositories. As far as I can see there appears to be no formal
74 organisational scheme to this at all, which can make it really hard to
75 find things. Ideally, I would like to see a scheme that generally goes
76 something like: /project/subproject/task. So, for example, you could
77 find all the docs under /documentation and all the newsletter content
78 under /pr/newsletter. (On a sidenote, the SVN repos seem a little better
79 on this than the CVS repos layout, but it's still not as clear as I
80 think it could be)
81
82 As always, I realize this would take time to change, but I (again) think
83 there's a good chance that it would improve contributions (on the basis
84 that potential contributors are more likely to actually contribute if
85 they can find what they want to work on easily).
88 AllenJB