From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 18:22:51
1 On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 06:40:07PM +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On 2020-08-08 20:51, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > What do people think?
4 >
5 > Like others already asked: What's the reason for this?
6
7 Like others have said on the thread, the reason for the switch away
8 from udev in the past was mostly fear driven instead of fact driven. As
9 already said, if the udev developers were going to make udev unusable
10 without systemd they would have by now.
11
12 > What do you expect from this change?
13
14 I expect Gentoo to use, by default, what most of the Linux community
15 uses for device management.
16
17 > Is there a problem when new Gentoo installations will use EUDEV by
18 > default? Or is there a benefit if new installations would use sys-fs/udev?
19
20 Please look back at the history of why we switched away from udev. It
21 was not technical. Udev did not cause any wide scale distro breakages.
22 It was because some folks were very loud about a possible systemd
23 consppiracy around making udev not work without systemd.
24
25 Years later, this has not happened, so to be honest, I think it is time
26 to admit that we , as a council and distro, over reacted and undo that
27 over reaction.
28
29 Notice again that I'm not saying we need to lastrites eudev. There are
30 cases that have developed for it (mainly non-glibc systems), but I am
31 saying I see no justification at this point for it being the default
32 distro wide.
33
34 William