From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Release Engineering <releng@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add bc back to the stage3
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:14:55
1 On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
2 <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > No, there isn't a need for a Council vote here. This is something up to
5 > Releng (in respect to what is in the stages) and to everyone in respect to
6 > what is part of the system set.
7
8 I don't think many really care about deferring to releng on what is in
9 the stages.
10
11 My concern is what is in @system, since that has a big impact on everybody.
12
13 > I've stopped following this mailing list regularly quite sometime
14 > ago. To see this thread is still going on and no one bothered to cc
15 > releng, to me shows a lack of respect for the people actually doing
16 > releases around here, as well as a real lack of interest in getting
17 > this done as you can discuss this all you want, but in the end, it's
18 > releng that works on this.
19
20 Nobody is intending to show a lack of respect for anybody. The whole
21 point of having a mailing list is so that you don't have to CC every
22 single developer on every single thread.
23
24 Nobody is required to read -dev, but as was pointed out recently,
25 claiming that you don't read -dev isn't really a good starting point
26 for a complaint that you've been left out of something. [1]
27
28 > Further, to me, this is a case where if anyone tries to side-step Releng and
29 > go over it with a Council decision, than the council members should be ready
30 > to start doing Releng work.
33 So, do you have an opinion on this that you'd like to share? I think
34 it makes more sense to discuss what the best path forward is rather
35 than argue about who gets to make the decision.
36
37 Believe it or not, the folks who are on the Council aren't really
38 interested in micro-managing everything that goes on in Gentoo.
39 However, as you pointed out, everybody is impacted by what is in the
40 system set, and the way "everybody" in Gentoo decides on things is
41 through the Council. The alternative is endless threads like this
42 one.
43
44 No, the members of the Council aren't aware of every detail of
45 everything that happens with Gentoo, and they don't possess every
46 skill collectively possessed by every member of the community. About
47 the only thing the Council can claim is that people voted for them to
48 represent the community, so it functions best when we actually act
49 like a community.
50
51 [1] - http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20140408-summary.txt
54 Rich