From: Michael Lang <mwlang@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Install Instructions
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:45:18
1 No Problem. I will give it my attention for the next couple days and then
2 submit to bugzilla.
3
4 One thing I would like to comment on...the intra-doc links are a bit
5 difficult to work with, esp. if you add/delete chapters and sections or
6 just move them around. As soon as you do this a like like <uri
7 link="#doc_chap15_sect2" easily becomes invalid during the editing process.
8
9 BTW, #doc_chap_15_sect2 doesn't work at all even though both do
10 exist...looking at the generated HTML, it looks like the sections aren't
11 getting "defined" at the top of the document as the chapters are.
12
13 Anyway, not to get off track from the first problem...I think this would
14 work much better if we can explicitly name the chapters and sections in the
15 documents...i.e. instead of: <chapter><title>Installing a
16 Bootloader</title>.... we do this:
18 matter where that final chapter ends up, when we say <uri
19 link="#bootloader">Installing a Bootloader</uri>, we are assured that the
20 link works as long as we don't delete the chapter or arbitrarily rename
21 it. Ditto for sections.
22
23 Another thought: If we do shorthand <uri>#bootloader</uri> Then the
24 transformer should automatically plug in the title of the chapter...if for
25 some reason a chapter title doesn't exist, then plug in "Chapter 1",
26 etc.. The nice thing about this is that the author no longer cares what
27 the chapter title is and doesn't have to carefully proofread the final work
28 to ensure all references to that chapter match the chapter title exactly.