From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 38: Status of forum moderators in the Gentoo project
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:48:10
1 Lance Albertson posted <1120000451.26017.7.camel@pursuit>, excerpted
2 below, on Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:14:11 -0500:
3
4 > Ok, after talking with a few folks I want to retract my comment about no
5 > shell access. I didn't think about the other groups (docs) that already
6 > have shell access and retain a simliar status as forum mods do in
7 > Gentoo. I'm just getting ansty about all these new people we're bringing
8 > on and the security behind it. Thats my main concern at this point, not
9 > whether your work is more or less than a regular developer. I just
10 > wanted to make that point before I had a flamewar directed at me :)
11
12 OK, I'm with you on the security thing (being one that would prefer a
13 USE=clientonly flag, remember, tho I understand the reasons behind not
14 doing it), but I DO know there's quite the occasional use for someplace to
15 host scripts, patchlets, and sample config files for reference from
16 forums/news/lists/irc, that I've personally found useful, that others
17 would like to see as well.
18
19 One particular example is my xorg.conf file, which I seem to get
20 requests for from time to time, when I mention that I have xorg running
21 xinerama on a dual-out Radeon 9200SE. It seems many have trouble getting
22 that to work, and an annotated working config can help tremendously. I've
23 been considering doing it up right and putting it on my web page. Sure, I
24 can put it on my ISP's page, but folks do change ISPs from time to time,
25 and for forum mods that are already staff, having a "staffspace" available
26 to make such things a bit more publicly available, could be /quite/ useful.
27
28 The form of the URLs such resources get make it quite clear that while
29 hosted on a gentoo server, they are in personal devspace/staffspace on
30 that server, so there should be little chance of confusion with "official"
31 packages, particularly if there's a policy in place (I haven't seen one
32 but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist) to clearly mark any HTML formatted
33 anchor tags with non-obfuscated descriptions and URLs. (The forum
34 software may or may not make obfuscated URLs impossible, I don't know.)
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
40 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list