From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add bc back to the stage3
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 16:31:18
1 On 09/27/2014 07:39 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 09/27/14 18:46, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> What is really needed here is a vote by the Council on whether to add bc
5 >>> back to the stage3. If the people do insist, another vote regarding
6 >>> adding or changing an editor to stage3 could be done as well.
7 >>>
8 >> The call for agenda goes out on Tuesday, so if somebody wants a vote
9 >> please put it up. Don't let mgorny be the only one with agenda items.
10 >> :)
11 >>
12 >> --
13 >> Rich
14 >>
15 > He isn't ... remember GLEP 64 :)
16 >
17 > And now for something completely different ... drum roll ... Really! We
18 > have to have a council vote on whether bc goes into stage3? If this
19 > does go to the council, then I want a pre-vote vote: should we bounce
20 > the decision back to the releng team? We should not micro manage to
21 > this level.
24 May I suggest an alternative? We could implement sys-virtual/posix and
25 make it depend on all packages that are not necessary for @system, but
26 are necessary for proper POSIX compliance. Then we can tell users who
27 need/want an environment containing all tools specified by POSIX, such
28 as those not using sys-kernel/*-sources, to `emerge virtual/posix`.
29
30 That said, the larger matter of standards conformance that needs to be
31 considered. Illumos' Garrett D'amore has been working on standards
32 conformance tests for libc:
33
34 https://bitbucket.org/gdamore/illumos-gate/src/8815a50c9cc3f6f213931e12f72c252504363a82/usr/src/test/libc-tests/?at=core
35
36 Garrett told me yesterday that the changes necessary to run them on
37 Linux should be very small and are likely restricted to a few dozen
38 lines in 1 file. I want to try running them to catch POSIX conformance
39 issues in our base system. That will likely come later this year, as I
40 recently became aware of a SUS conformance issue in ZFS' implementation
41 of mmap() where PROT_WRITE + MAP_PRIVATE on a readonly file fails.
42 Fixing that will take priority over reviewing the standards conformance
43 of libc (others can review libc before i do if they wish).
44
45 I imagine that the tests will catch issues in our present conformance
46 when they are run. Once we have the results, we will need to decide how
47 proactive we intend to be about fixing them. We will definitely want to
48 work with upstream libcs to get issues that tests identified fixed.
49 However, there would be the question of whether we wish to fix them
50 immediately or wait for the patches fixing them to be upstreamed. If the
51 matter of adding bc to the base system for POSIX conformance goes to the
52 Council, it might be worth thinking about how far we wish to go for
53 standards conformance when further issues are identified.