From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving GCC-3.4 to stable on x86
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:59:42
1 On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:56:40PM -0500, Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Seems people read this to mean that I was going to write a doc, which I have
3 > no intentions on doing.
4 I don't think a whole doc is necessary, but instructions for a safe
5 upgrade would be fine. A think a one-liner like
6 emerge -u gcc && emerge -e system && emerge -e world && emerge -P gcc
7 && emerge whateverneedstobedoneafterwards should suffice as documentation.
8
9 > I believe adding "It is recommended that you `emerge
10 > -e system && emerge -e world` after merging gcc-3.4" to the einfo at the end
11 > of the gcc-3.4.4 install should be good enough.
12 Maybe people look closer if they upgrade gcc, but einfo still gets
13 overlooked easily.
14
15 > So, let me know if marking it stable in the next day or two is completely
16 > stupid and I should wait to announce this via the GWN or something, or if its
17 > an alright move and people aren't going to stab me for marking it stable.
18 Assuming a clear upgrade path is provided i think it would be
19 fine. We'll make some sticky thread on the forum mentioning that
20 instructions, i bet it couldn't hurt to put them on the gentoo
21 mainpage, as topic in #gentoo etc. I'm also pretty sure next GWN is
22 likely to report about the update.
23 Just because we haven't got emerge --news it doesn't mean we haven't
24 got lots of ways to reach our users. Every user that gets to read them
25 in time is a potential bug report less.
26
27 cheers,
28 Wernfried
31 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
32 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
33 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list