From: Javier Marcet <lists@××××××.info>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremy@×××××××××××.org>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ALSA and kernel 2.6.1-gentoo-r1 and /etc/init.d/alsasound
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:56:40
1 * Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> [040218 20:06]:
4 >> Is this a bug? Should I re-emerge and rebuild my kernel? I don't mind
5 >> helping to test alsa code that may be buggy, but would prefer using a
6 >> kernel where the rest of the code is relatively stable, so I don't think
7 >> I want to upgrade the kernel beyond 2.6.1.
8
9 >I would think it a bug in the kernel sources, though I should say that I
10 >suggest upgrading your kernel pending the newly discovered mmap hole in
11 >kernel versions <=2.6.2
12
13 >> Any thoughts on how to get alsa-driver going here?
14
15 Would you mind briefly summarizing what problems you are having with the
16 alsa in kernel 2.6?
17 I'm using them from day one instead of media-sound/alsa-drivers, even
18 before /etc/init.d/alsasound was moved from alsa-drivers to alsa-lib
19
20 The only important thing is to enable statically (not as modules) in
21 the kernel both sound and ALSA (OSS can be enabled too, indeed I use it
22 for my bt878 card). Everything else you want to use within alsa as
23 modules.
24
25 This is part of my .config:
26
27 #
28 # Sound
29 #
30 CONFIG_SOUND=y
31
32 #
33 # Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
34 #
35 CONFIG_SND=y
36 CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
37 # CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY is not set
38 CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
39 CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
40 CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
41 CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
42 CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m
43 # CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK is not set
44 # CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set
45
46 #
47 # Generic devices
48 #
49 # CONFIG_SND_DUMMY is not set
50 # CONFIG_SND_VIRMIDI is not set
51 # CONFIG_SND_MTPAV is not set
52 # CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550 is not set
53 # CONFIG_SND_MPU401 is not set
54
55 #
56 # PCI devices
57 #
58 CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX=m
59
60 #
61 # Open Sound System
62 #
63 CONFIG_SOUND_PRIME=y
64 CONFIG_SOUND_BT878=m
65 CONFIG_SOUND_TVMIXER=m
66
67 Besides that I keep my ALSA modules config in /etc/modules.d/alsa, and
68 run /etc/init.d/alsasound at startup. This way everything works as it did
69 with media-sound/alsa-drivers.
70
71 It is important to enable sound AND alsa not as modules, but statically,
72 otherwise it won't work. Everything else as modules. I didn't even try
73 doing everything static, since I want to pass some options to the alsa
74 modules on loading.
75
76 Anyway, if I misunderstood your problems, please explain exactly what
77 is happening on your systems so that we can make it work on everybody's
78 machines :)
82 Javier Marcet <javier@××××××.info>