From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:46:05
1 On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 21:19 -0700, Duncan wrote:
2 > Unfortunately, -l doesn't work for downgrades, which except for important
3 > packages (including hotplug, I was **NOT** caught unaware by this change),
4 > is the place I'd be most able to use it. Why is this package wanting to
5 > downgrade? Is it a security issue or just that someone reported a problem
6 > in my current version that doesn't affect me, and the package was
7 > therefore de-keyworded, but since it's already merged and working fine
8 > here, it's safe to keep? That sort of info should be in the changelog and
9 > usually is, but -l won't show it because the version difference is
10 > negative.
11 >
12 > Could portage be fixed such that -l worked on the absolute value instead,
13 > or in the event of a negative version delta, displayed the last X entries
14 > pertaining to either the installed or the new version? That would allow
15 > it to catch most downgrade log entries. Also, printing out any related
16 > entries in package.mask would be quite helpful.
17
18 Actually, that would definitely be something that would be nice to see.
19 There is already code in portage for this, in a way. Here's an example:
20
21 # emerge drpython
22 Calculating dependencies
23 !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "drpython" have been masked.
24 !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
25 request:
26 - dev-python/drpython-3.6.10 (masked by: package.mask)
27 # <lucass@g.o> (15 Nov 2004)
28 # Masking due to dependency on wxpython-2.5
29
30 Now, the only problem with this, is this information would never be
31 displayed unless *all* versions were masked. If it is a forced
32 downgrade, this would not be shown. I'm not sure exactly how one would
33 go about determining whether or not to show this information. I guess
34 some logic would have to be added to have portage display the reason for
35 it deciding to downgrade a package, whether by a removed keyword or
36 package.mask.
37
38 > As it is, I often end up loading the various logs and/or package.mask
39 > manually, to see why the downgrade.
40
41 As do I.
44 Chris Gianelloni
45 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
46 Games - Developer
47 Gentoo Linux