From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 04:19:57
1 Chris Gianelloni posted
2 <1100623641.17212.108.camel@×××××××××××××××××.net>, excerpted below, on
3 Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:47:21 -0500:
4
5 > Wouldn't it be much nicer if users would do something like emerge -vuDpl
6 > world instead and actually get the ChangeLog entries?
7
8 Interestingly, I have a variety of e* aliases, including "eplogworld" that
9 does just that. (There's also an eplog that does it for an individual
10 package.)
11
12 Unfortunately, -l doesn't work for downgrades, which except for important
13 packages (including hotplug, I was **NOT** caught unaware by this change),
14 is the place I'd be most able to use it. Why is this package wanting to
15 downgrade? Is it a security issue or just that someone reported a problem
16 in my current version that doesn't affect me, and the package was
17 therefore de-keyworded, but since it's already merged and working fine
18 here, it's safe to keep? That sort of info should be in the changelog and
19 usually is, but -l won't show it because the version difference is
20 negative.
21
22 Could portage be fixed such that -l worked on the absolute value instead,
23 or in the event of a negative version delta, displayed the last X entries
24 pertaining to either the installed or the new version? That would allow
25 it to catch most downgrade log entries. Also, printing out any related
26 entries in package.mask would be quite helpful.
27
28 As it is, I often end up loading the various logs and/or package.mask
29 manually, to see why the downgrade.
33 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
34 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
35 Benjamin Franklin
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list