From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:47:20
1 On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 07:37 -0800, M. Edward Borasky wrote:
2 > Well ... I suspect a fair number of Gentoo users do
3 >
4 > emerge sync
5 > emerge -puvD world
6 > emerge -uD world
7 > etc-update
8 >
9 > every day more or less automatically. I tend to be a little more
10 > cautious than that, but I missed the hotplug warnings and had to figure
11 > everything out by myself. At that point, the word "coldplug" flashed by
12 > my subliminal vision :). So I must have seen the warning.
13
14 You are entirely right about this and it sure would be nice to get users
15 out of this habit. Then again, most people come to Gentoo because they
16 think there really is a dramatic difference between gaim 1.0.2 and gaim
17 1.0.3 and waiting an extra 3 hours to have the latest and greatest will
18 simply make them lose all their 'leet points among the other forums
19 posters.
20
21 /me ducks
22
23 All kidding aside, a better method for getting messages across
24 definitely needs to be worked on, but at the same time, how many of you
25 don't know that we put messages in the ebuilds that you should follow?
26 How many of you simply ignore them anyway and do an "emerge -uD world"
27 blindly and don't pay any attention to the nice messages we worked so
28 hard to put into the ebuilds? I'm not trying to lay blame on you,
29 personally, I am just making an observation.
30
31 To be honest, the hotplug/coldplug thing caught me off-guard myself when
32 I first upgraded the hotplug package, simply because I didn't follow my
33 own advice. However, I said to myself "Hrrmn... It seems hotplug is
34 broken. Perhaps I should read the ChangeLog and see what it says
35 there?" and all was right in the universe again.
36
37 Unfortunately, there really is only so much hand-holding that we can
38 accomplish as developers and still have time to actually *work* on the
39 distribution.
40
41 > How about this:
42 >
43 > Whenever you do "emerge sync", you get a list of "release notes" for
44 > everything that has changed since your last sync. I know Portage is
45 > smart enough to do this sort of thing, because it told me I had to
46 > update my /etc/make.profile last night, and it tells me when I need to
47 > update Portage. While you're at it, a list of new packages would be
48 > nice.
49
50 Ehh... that's *way* too much information to present. I definitely don't
51 want to see a bunch of Gnome/KDE garbage every time I sync if I only run
52 fluxbox or windowmaker.
53
54 I could see an advantage in having a list of new packages, but it
55 *definitely* should not be turned on by default.
56
57 Wouldn't it be much nicer if users would do something like emerge -vuDpl
58 world instead and actually get the ChangeLog entries?
61 Chris Gianelloni
62 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
63 Games - Developer
64 Gentoo Linux