From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:18:37
1 On Tuesday 16 November 2004 17:47, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > All kidding aside, a better method for getting messages across
3 > definitely needs to be worked on
4
5 There already is a proposal, just see Message-Id:
6 <200411161508.13153.m.debruijne@××××××.nl> who pointed this out.
7
8 > but at the same time, how many of you don't know that we put messages in the
9 > ebuilds that you should follow?
10
11 Many probably don't want to look at them inside the ebuild, because there
12 should be a mechanism to show important information when doing an "emerge
13 world", else emerge world has to be removed.
14
15 > How many of you simply ignore them anyway and do an "emerge -uD world"
16 > blindly and don't pay any attention to the nice messages we worked so
17 > hard to put into the ebuilds?
18
19 Many, me included, because I simply can't be bothered to look at the output
20 all the time, waiting for the X seconds that I have time to read a msg. I
21 start a screen session on the server, look at "emerge world -vp", decide
22 which packages to really upgrade, start a merge for them and close my
23 terminal. If there is important information, there has to be a way for emerge
24 to tell me, without me, waiting for 20 ebuilds to run by, while I stare at
25 the screen! And this mechanism should not be "have a logfile somewhere so I
26 can read it if I know about it", I at least want to have a message like
27 "important information about the last merged ebuilds is available in file
28 XXX, have a look at it" beneath my merge. On the other hand, if this is
29 possible you can just as easily put the information itself on screen (while
30 still saving it to a file, for the case when the screen buffer was too small
31 to capture everything).
32
33 > However, I said to myself "Hrrmn... It seems hotplug is broken. Perhaps I
34 > should read the ChangeLog and see what it says there?" and all was right in
35 > the universe again.
36
37 Thats what I would do too, however, this is not the right solution to the
38 problem from a users/admin perspective. The solution is to give the
39 user/admin the tools to be notified of important changes automatically. In a
40 way that makes sure that you are really able to view the information.
41
42 > Unfortunately, there really is only so much hand-holding that we can
43 > accomplish as developers and still have time to actually *work* on the
44 > distribution.
45
46 Have a look at the bugreport mentioned in the message I refer to earlier.
49 Alex
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list