From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:52:25
1 On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 18:18 +0100, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
2 > > but at the same time, how many of you don't know that we put messages in the
3 > > ebuilds that you should follow?
4 >
5 > Many probably don't want to look at them inside the ebuild, because there
6 > should be a mechanism to show important information when doing an "emerge
7 > world", else emerge world has to be removed.
8
9 I meant the nice little einfo, ewarn, and error stuff that portage spits
10 out that we insert into the ebuilds. Nobody expects you to read the
11 ebuild itself.
12
13 > > How many of you simply ignore them anyway and do an "emerge -uD world"
14 > > blindly and don't pay any attention to the nice messages we worked so
15 > > hard to put into the ebuilds?
16 >
17 > Many, me included, because I simply can't be bothered to look at the output
18 > all the time, waiting for the X seconds that I have time to read a msg. I
19 > start a screen session on the server, look at "emerge world -vp", decide
20 > which packages to really upgrade, start a merge for them and close my
21 > terminal. If there is important information, there has to be a way for emerge
22 > to tell me, without me, waiting for 20 ebuilds to run by, while I stare at
23 > the screen! And this mechanism should not be "have a logfile somewhere so I
24 > can read it if I know about it", I at least want to have a message like
25 > "important information about the last merged ebuilds is available in file
26 > XXX, have a look at it" beneath my merge. On the other hand, if this is
27 > possible you can just as easily put the information itself on screen (while
28 > still saving it to a file, for the case when the screen buffer was too small
29 > to capture everything).
30
31 You "simply can't be bothered" so that means we should all jump to not
32 only help, but encourage your laziness and apathy?
33
34 While I understand everyone's need to have their hand held every second
35 of the day by the whole of Gentoo, it really is not *our* fault when
36 *you* do actions that prevent you from reading the messages that we do
37 give you.
38
39 > > However, I said to myself "Hrrmn... It seems hotplug is broken. Perhaps I
40 > > should read the ChangeLog and see what it says there?" and all was right in
41 > > the universe again.
42 >
43 > Thats what I would do too, however, this is not the right solution to the
44 > problem from a users/admin perspective. The solution is to give the
45 > user/admin the tools to be notified of important changes automatically. In a
46 > way that makes sure that you are really able to view the information.
47
48 You mean like piping the output of emerge to mail or sendmail? That
49 seems easy enough... or how about redirecting the output to a file? I
50 mean, surely that is so hard to do that we need to force this action
51 upon everyone, right?
52
53 My entire point here is that no matter what we do, someone will come up
54 and complain that it doesn't do what they want it to do. I have a
55 simple solution for this. Do it how you want... you don't need us to do
56 it for you.
57
58 If you are blindly upgrading packages *knowing* that there could be
59 changes in those packages that would affect you and you do nothing to
60 even verify that nothing will adversely affect your setup, then no
61 amount of hand-holding will help you. I mean that the people that
62 complain about their systems being broken because they didn't follow the
63 instructions that we have laid out for them are a vocal minority. When
64 changes like this happen, there is usually *very* little repercussions
65 and almost no bug reports.
66
67 Now, with that being said, I will *gladly* add this support to portage
68 just as soon as somebody decides to start paying me a salary equivalent
69 to my current one so I can hack on Gentoo all day long just to add a
70 bunch of little "hold my hand and wipe my ass for me" features rather
71 than working to add support for new devices and applications.
72
73 > > Unfortunately, there really is only so much hand-holding that we can
74 > > accomplish as developers and still have time to actually *work* on the
75 > > distribution.
76 >
77 > Have a look at the bugreport mentioned in the message I refer to earlier.
78
79 No thanks... I'll leave that up to the portage team and get back to
80 working on things that I find interesting.
83 Chris Gianelloni
84 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
85 Games - Developer
86 Gentoo Linux