From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:08:14
1 On Tuesday 16 November 2004 19:52, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > I meant the nice little einfo, ewarn, and error stuff that portage spits
3 > out that we insert into the ebuilds. Nobody expects you to read the
4 > ebuild itself.
5
6 As already said: as it stands now, it is easier for me to just look at the
7 ebuild itself, than at the ewarn/eerror/einfo stuff, except for the last
8 merged build.
9
10 > You "simply can't be bothered" so that means we should all jump to not
11 > only help, but encourage your laziness and apathy?
12
13 No.
14
15 > While I understand everyone's need to have their hand held every second
16 > of the day by the whole of Gentoo
17
18 That sadly seems to be the attitude of many developers, although most people,
19 including me, don't want their hands held.
20
21 > it really is not *our* fault when *you* do actions that prevent you from
22 > reading the messages that we do give you.
23
24 Well how about seeing it this way:
25
26 It really is not *our* fault, when *you* create a system where we have to
27 stare at the screen for a long time to read messages given to us by you.
28
29 > You mean like piping the output of emerge to mail or sendmail?
30
31 No, I only need the ewarn/einfo/eerror messages, not all the output. Think of
32 all the output for an X build ...
33
34 > or how about redirecting the output to a file?
35
36 Same here, All I'm interested in are the messages, not the compilation stuff.
37 That would only be necessary if a build fails.
38
39 > I mean, surely that is so hard to do that we need to force this action upon
40 > everyone, right?
41
42 As already said, just presenting all ewarn/einfo/eerror messages at the end of
43 a build would suffice, piping that to a file could very well be optional.
44
45 > I have a simple solution for this. Do it how you want... you don't need us
46 > to do it for you.
47
48 As said, have a look at the bug mentioned in the other msg, someone did it,
49 just no gentoo developer seems to want to integrate the functionality that
50 the community is ready to provide.
51
52 > If you are blindly upgrading packages *knowing* that there could be
53 > changes in those packages that would affect you and you do nothing to
54 > even verify that nothing will adversely affect your setup, then no
55 > amount of hand-holding will help you.
56
57 I don't do that. I do read the ebuilds to see if there are ewarns in
58 there/save the output to scan that file for ewarns. The whole matter is just
59 about how reading the messages can be made easier. Software is here to help
60 us do our jobs, not to make it harder. And for a great distribution like
61 gentoo, why not integrate such a feature into the mainline portage instead of
62 having everyone that wants it, patch their portage with each new version?
63
64 > Now, with that being said, I will *gladly* add this support to portage
65 > just as soon as somebody decides to start paying me a salary equivalent
66 > to my current one so I can hack on Gentoo all day long just to add a
67 > bunch of little "hold my hand and wipe my ass for me" features rather
68 > than working to add support for new devices and applications.
69
70 The feature was provided by the community a long time ago. Just have a look at
71 the bugreport.
74 Alex
77 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list