From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLogs and rsync time
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:18:21
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 11:25 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
3 >
4 >>>I'm also for telling the users to rsync exclude the ChangeLogs if they
5 >>>don't want them instead of getting rid of them or crippling them.
6 >>
7 >>I don't think that's really a solution. That's just a way to minimize
8 >>what they get. If you really want to look at a solution, you should
9 >>reduce whats actually in the changelog. All the changelogs are in CVS,
10 >>and if someone wanted to go look back at any changes, they can either
11 >>look at viewcvs or (hopefully soon), grab it via anoncvs. I bet you >80%
12 >>of things in the changelogs are for things that are in the attic. I say
13 >>we need a way to either have echangelog (or another script) to clean out
14 >>changelog entries for things that are in the attic (and make sense to
15 >>take out). Maybe another option would be to remove any 'version bump'
16 >>type entries that are old as well.
19 > OK. I keep seeing this argument about ChangeLog stuff for ebuilds in
20 > the Attic and I just think people might not be thinking it totally
21 > trough. For example, I made changes to the vmware-workstation ebuilds
22 > to force group membership a while back because of a security bug.
23 > However, there's been another security bug since, so those changes were
24 > made on ebuilds now in Attic, but the change is still valid in the
25 > current ebuilds.
26 >
27 > I don't see a problem with removing version bump and stabilization
28 > messages, but everything else should stay in the ChangeLog for as long
29 > as the package is still around.
30
31 See the part that I said "make sense to take out". What you described is
32 a perfect example of something that needs to stay. All I'm getting at is
33 that minor things that the package maintainer thinks isn't important to
34 keep in the active changelog, should be able to be removed. I'm not
35 implying to blindly remove changelog entries solely based on the fact
36 that those ebuilds are in the attic. Common sense would play here.
39 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
40 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
41
42 ---
43 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
44 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
45
46 ramereth/irc.freenode.net