From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLogs and rsync time
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 12:08:43
1 On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 13:20 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > > I don't see a problem with removing version bump and stabilization
3 > > messages, but everything else should stay in the ChangeLog for as long
4 > > as the package is still around.
5 >
6 > See the part that I said "make sense to take out". What you described is
7 > a perfect example of something that needs to stay. All I'm getting at is
8 > that minor things that the package maintainer thinks isn't important to
9 > keep in the active changelog, should be able to be removed. I'm not
10 > implying to blindly remove changelog entries solely based on the fact
11 > that those ebuilds are in the attic. Common sense would play here.
12
13 So you have now taken what was described as an automatic solution to
14 reduce size into a manual process, reducing usability of the ChangeLog
15 and increasing workload for every ebuild developer.
16
17 I'm sorry, but I still think the idea of simply RSYNC_EXCLUDEing the
18 ChangeLog by default would be a much better solution.
21 Chris Gianelloni
22 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
23 x86 Architecture Team
24 Games - Developer