From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC available for testing.
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:23:11
1 On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 10:49 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > while is_older_than is negotiable, removing KV_* is not. those are pretty
3 > tight utility functions which duplication in $random-packages will only lead
4 > to problems (especially considering the history of making sure they were
5 > coded right). they've weathered quite a long time and should be pretty much
6 > unchanged, so there is no good reason to omit them. there is no overhead of
7 > having them available and maintaining them.
8
9 KV_* only makes sense when dealing with Linux version numbers are
10 they're always numeric. The BSD's on the other hand include textual
11 elemants too.
12 uname -r on this machine is 7.0-RC1.
13
14 luckily, baselayout-2 as it stands in portage only exports the KV_to_int
15 function so that's the only one we should be dealing with.
16
17 So, the question is, do we want to maintain one massive KV_to_int that
18 has different code paths for uname -s output, or get function.sh to
19 include an OS specific file we supply just for this one function?
20
21 Or just put the function in modules-update and udev as they are the only
22 two applications that use it.
23
24 > if you want a cleaner interface for is_older_than, then we could hammer that
25 > out, but if it's just a pass through to a C applet, then leaving it alone
26 > makes sense.
27
28 Currently it's neither as it's been integrated into the librc dependency
29 code. Again, the only consumer of this function is now modules-update.
30
31 > > > I also notice that the timezone of clock is gone, any alternative?
32 > > > Also the network dependency of stopping/starting services when network
33 > > > is unavailable/available is gone, any alternative?
34 > >
35 > > The timezone was variable was just a hack for the timezone ebuild to
36 > > update /etc/localtime if it's not a symlink. I'm striving to remove all
37 > > "Gentooisms" from it so that it really is platform neutral.
38 >
39 > you view the purpose of TIMEZONE incorrectly. it was a central script
40 > parasable location to store the system timezone. every distribution out
41 > there does it somehow. the way for OpenRC to do it is set the variable
42 > in /etc/conf.d/clock. the fact that currently the timezone ebuild is the
43 > only one using it is irrelevant.
44
45 Then I suggest that conf.d/clock is the wrong place for it as if it was
46 set there then it implies that `/etc/init.d/clock start` would change to
47 that timezone, which is clearly not the case.
48
49 Thanks
50
51 Roy