From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC available for testing.
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 15:53:03
1 On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 16:39 +0200, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
3 > > On 1/1/08, Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name> wrote:
4 > > > > It took me some time to find /etc/conf.d/modules, but it's certainly
5 > > > > useful :).
6 > > >
7 > > > It also means all config files, with the exceptions of fstab and
8 > > > rc.conf are in conf.d and not some random dir :)
9 > >
10 > > Took me a while too... Some ChangeLog documentation should be available.
11 > >
12 > > Also I think this is a regression:
13 > > # update-modules
14 > > /sbin/update-modules: line 118: KV_to_int: command not found
15 > > /sbin/update-modules: line 118: KV_to_int: command not found
16 > > /sbin/update-modules: line 263: is_older_than: command not found
17 >
18 > Those functions were removed from functions.sh as only update-modules
19 > still uses them. udev does use KV_to_int though. I don't really want to
20 > add those functions back. Although we could trivially add is_older_than
21 > as a C applet built into rc.
22
23 while is_older_than is negotiable, removing KV_* is not. those are pretty
24 tight utility functions which duplication in $random-packages will only lead
25 to problems (especially considering the history of making sure they were
26 coded right). they've weathered quite a long time and should be pretty much
27 unchanged, so there is no good reason to omit them. there is no overhead of
28 having them available and maintaining them.
29
30 if you want a cleaner interface for is_older_than, then we could hammer that
31 out, but if it's just a pass through to a C applet, then leaving it alone
32 makes sense.
33
34 > > I also notice that the timezone of clock is gone, any alternative?
35 > > Also the network dependency of stopping/starting services when network
36 > > is unavailable/available is gone, any alternative?
37 >
38 > The timezone was variable was just a hack for the timezone ebuild to
39 > update /etc/localtime if it's not a symlink. I'm striving to remove all
40 > "Gentooisms" from it so that it really is platform neutral.
41
42 you view the purpose of TIMEZONE incorrectly. it was a central script
43 parasable location to store the system timezone. every distribution out
44 there does it somehow. the way for OpenRC to do it is set the variable
45 in /etc/conf.d/clock. the fact that currently the timezone ebuild is the
46 only one using it is irrelevant.
47 -mike