From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC available for testing.
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:11:02
1 On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 16:39 +0200, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On 1/1/08, Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name> wrote:
3 > > > It took me some time to find /etc/conf.d/modules, but it's certainly
4 > > > useful :).
5 > >
6 > > It also means all config files, with the exceptions of fstab and rc.conf
7 > > are in conf.d and not some random dir :)
8 >
9 > Took me a while too... Some ChangeLog documentation should be available.
10 >
11 > Also I think this is a regression:
12 > # update-modules
13 > /sbin/update-modules: line 118: KV_to_int: command not found
14 > /sbin/update-modules: line 118: KV_to_int: command not found
15 > /sbin/update-modules: line 263: is_older_than: command not found
16
17 Those functions were removed from functions.sh as only update-modules
18 still uses them. udev does use KV_to_int though. I don't really want to
19 add those functions back. Although we could trivially add is_older_than
20 as a C applet built into rc.
21
22 > And I think there is a circular dependency of:
23 > openrc->init-module-tools->baselayout->openrc
24
25 Quite possibly. I'm sure some bright spark can actually say what's wrong
26 before it hits portage.
29 > I did not understand the comments in rc.conf regarding the external
30 > dependency...
31 > # It's possible to define extra dependencies for services like so
32 > #rc_config="/etc/foo"
33 > #rc_need="openvpn"
34 > #rc_use="net.eth0"
35 > #rc_after="clock"
36 > #rc_before="local"
37 >
38 > How can I add a specific service dependency using this mechanism? The
39 > modified service name is missing...
40
41 They're supposed to belong in /etc/conf.d/$SVCNAME
42 Maybe you could suggest better wording?
43
44 I suppose we could also allow
45 rc_$SVCNAME_$depend to work, for example
46
47 rc_clock_need="modules"
48
49 > I also notice that the timezone of clock is gone, any alternative?
50 > Also the network dependency of stopping/starting services when network
51 > is unavailable/available is gone, any alternative?
52
53 The timezone was variable was just a hack for the timezone ebuild to
54 update /etc/localtime if it's not a symlink. I'm striving to remove all
55 "Gentooisms" from it so that it really is platform neutral.
56
57 Thanks
58
59 Roy