From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] issues with installing a new kernel
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 20:42:25
1 On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 04:10:53AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2 > > Well, I added a simple check in pkg_preinst in
3 > > linux-2.4.0.11-r3.ebuild to see if /boot exists in /etc/fstab, and if
4 > > so, it mounts it, then it will unmount it in pkg_postinst.
5 >
6 > Well, I don't like it if an ebuild script touches my filesystem.
7 >
8 > I use automount here for boot and /boot is a symlink to /misc/boot.
9 >
10 > So this solution does not work for me.
11 >
12 > Since ebuild can run in runlevels other than 1 and linux is a multiuser
13 > operating system
14 > such things can messup other users work.
15 >
16 > So such a thing should only run if we are in runlevel 1
19 You have a point... I didn't think it was a good idea to do this,
20 since everyone's filesystem setup is pretty much different... I'll
21 just add a message to it reminding the user to mount /boot.
22
23 Pete