From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] issues with installing a new kernel
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 20:36:40
1 Pete Gavin wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 02:54:50AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > > > I think it would be good if the /boot mounted check were done in the
5 > > > pkg_preinst() function, which gets called right before a merge.
6 > > >
7 > >
8 > > But a /boot partition is not neccesary.
11 > Well, I added a simple check in pkg_preinst in
12 > linux-2.4.0.11-r3.ebuild to see if /boot exists in /etc/fstab, and if
13 > so, it mounts it, then it will unmount it in pkg_postinst.
14
15 Well, I don't like it if an ebuild script touches my filesystem.
16
17 I use automount here for boot and /boot is a symlink to /misc/boot.
18
19 So this solution does not work for me.
20
21 Since ebuild can run in runlevels other than 1 and linux is a multiuser
22 operating system
23 such things can messup other users work.
24
25 So such a thing should only run if we are in runlevel 1
30 > > > Yes, it's fine to call depmod -a; if possible, find a way to make it
31 > > > work with ${ROOT} so that we can merge to non-root filesystems and
32 > > > have depmod operate on the correct set of modules.
35 > I also added a call to depmod -a with the -b swtich which allows you
36 > to specifiy a root directory to use.
37
38 Are you shure that works. I tested such a thing a while ago and it wrote
39 the mdoules.conf stuff for {version} to
40 /lib/modules{running version}.
41
42 The problem is the mount script in /tec/rc.d/init.d. I will modify it this
43 week because we want to enhance
44 the automatic generation of /etc/module.conf.
45 I will take care that depmod -a really runs when neccessary.
46
47 Yours
48 achim~
52 > Pete