From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: maintainer-needed@ packages need you!
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 22:09:33
1 J. Roeleveld posted on Sun, 07 Sep 2014 17:51:46 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sunday, September 07, 2014 01:16:57 AM Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 >> Hello,
5 >>
6 >> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 07:15:53 +0800 Patrick Lauer wrote:
7 >> > On Sunday 31 August 2014 11:39:22 hasufell wrote:
8 >> > > Martin Vaeth:
9 >> > > > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
10 >> > > >> On 08/30/2014 02:35 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
11 >> > > >>> For net-im/skype,
12 >> > > >>
13 >> > > >> Screw skype.
14 >> > > >
15 >> > > > Please don't. Not all communication partners are linux users.
16
17 The (in)?famous network effect. A network grows in value based on the
18 number of users it has...
19
20 >> > > Tox is multiplatform [but] pre-alpha [...]
21
22 FWIW, this subthread was the first I had read of it, tho I saw an article
23 in the press about it since. The early 4chan involvement is
24 interesting. This should be rather less controversial but at the same
25 time potentially far more (semi-)permanently effective than the LOIC
26 stuff. Good for them! =:^)
27
28 >> > So it doesn't work [...]
29 >>
30 >> Can't agree with you here. I just tried tox (utox client) from
31 >> tox-overlay. Works like charm from the box [...]
32 >>
33 >> I tested text messages, audio and video from double-nat environment
34 >> (where SIP clients can work only using stune and only some of them).
35 >
36 > It probably works, provided all your contacts also use it.
37 >
38 > As long as the vast majority of my contacts use Skype and Yahoo, I will
39 > not be able to switch. If Kopete (and other generic IM clients) would
40 > add support for tox, then it would be easier.
41
42 That was the point above about not everyone being a Linux user (aka
43 network effect), tho it seemed lost by the point of your parent post even
44 if it was still quoted, so thanks for re-making it.
45
46 Of course not all users do servantware either and skype's simply not an
47 option for them. FWIW that includes me, no matter what my comm-partners
48 might use. But the network effect remains valid. I simply can't join
49 that network, network effect or not. So I can certainly identify with
50 the screw skype sentiment since that's demonstrably their attitude toward
51 potential users who actually care about their rights.
52
53 >> It should be noted that at least in Linux skype is much harder to
54 >> install and use since it requires pulseaudio and I don't use that sh^W
55 >> stuff. So skype reqires its own LXC container set up which is doable,
56 >> but costed me a day (with all tight isolation stuff). And I even had
57 >> not mentione that installation of skype equals to trojan injection into
58 >> the system (that's why I used all that LXC and separate X server
59 >> precautions).
60 >
61 > If you want to isolate a package, then yes, it is more difficult then
62 > just running " emerge skype " (Which works flawlessly for me).
63 >
64 > I also had no issues installing pulseaudio. (Apart from having to undo
65 > some alsa-settings to default to the normal audio output instead of the
66 > HDMI one).
67 >
68 > Which trojan injection are you talking about?
69
70 I'd guess the no-warrant-NSA-trojan that skype is pretty much known to
71 have, given the Edward Snowden and etc. revelations, when it *HAD* been
72 claimed to be "secure".
73
74 In theory there's at least shreds of the law that was supposed to protect
75 US citizens left, if only shreds, but there's been no candy-coating the
76 fact that if you don't happen to be a US citizen, they felt no
77 compunction whatsoever. Whatever US citizens may feel about it then,
78 certainly for everyone else in the world it's a trojan, period. That
79 some g-men injected it (or forced MS to) is immaterial, when it wasn't
80 /their/ g-men.
81
82 (FWIW I'm a US citizen and I'm none-too-happy about the NSA's actions
83 either, but obviously I'm in the minority as Obama got elected after
84 retroactively authorizing otherwise law-breaking actions, etc, and few if
85 any other politicians who voted for that or any of the other shenanigans
86 seem to have been kicked out due to it either, so what can I say?)
91 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman