From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Closing bugs [was: New Bugzilla HOWTO]
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 07:33:13
1 Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 > living. I know this fact: Sometimes the developer doesn't realise what
3 > the actual problem is. Sometimes its because the end-user didn't
4 > communicate well. Sometimes its because the developer is being an ass
5 > (we've all been guilty of this). *That* is why verification should be
6 > done not by the person writing the fix. It should be by an independent
7 > party; Team Lead, reporter, etc.
8
9 a) what would be the point of the reporter also being the verifier as
10 far as confirming that the bug is real and not a PEBKAC error?
11
12 b) what would be the point of requiring that verification be done by a
13 third party if the dev the PR is assigned to can reproduce the bug
14 themselves?
15
16 c) how do you propose the assignee fix the bug if they cannot reproduce
17 it? this may be possible in some cases, but not anywhere near the majority.
18
19 d) team leads lead the team, not attempt to reproduce bugs for every PR
20 that falls under their umbrella. to be blunt, they have much better
21 things to do.
22
23 > "Dear Developers Who Take Constructive Critizism as Insults,
24 >
25 > Please grow thicker skin. No one is out to get you. Believe it or not,
26 > the people trying to improve the process are on your side, and they're
27 > not trying to insult you. No one is saying that because the process
28 > could be better that your work is somehow diminished.
29 >
30 > Sincerely,
31 >
32 > Nathan
35 Dear Nathan,
36
37 In your spare time, could you please begin testing every new problem
38 report filed as of now for validity and tag them appropriately? This
39 small, incremental move should greatly improve our QA process. Thanks boo.
40
41 XOXOX
42
43 --de.
44
45 Note: I am not denying there could be a (small) policy problem, I'm just
46 pointing out that the proposed solution is unworkable.
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list