From: "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Closing bugs [was: New Bugzilla HOWTO]
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:45:02
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 R Hill wrote:
5 > a) what would be the point of the reporter also being the verifier as
6 > far as confirming that the bug is real and not a PEBKAC error?
7
8 Sometimes devs do clever things to their systems that end-users aren't
9 aware of, or they test the fix logged into their machine with special
10 priviledges, etc. So having the reporter verify would test the fix with
11 those things out of the loop.
12
13 > b) what would be the point of requiring that verification be done by a
14 > third party if the dev the PR is assigned to can reproduce the bug
15 > themselves?
16
17 I'm assuming that this would only apply to cases where the dev has
18 provided a fix (in most cases I assume they would have reproduced the
19 problem). The reporter's test would have the benefits mentioned above,
20 and if the Team Lead tested, they could review the fix for technical
21 correctness, etc.
22
23 > c) how do you propose the assignee fix the bug if they cannot reproduce
24 > it? this may be possible in some cases, but not anywhere near the
25 > majority.
26
27 My suggestion doesn't even cover that; it assumes that the dev has
28 provided a fix.
29
30 > d) team leads lead the team, not attempt to reproduce bugs for every PR
31 > that falls under their umbrella. to be blunt, they have much better
32 > things to do.
33
34 Is it out of the scope of the Team Lead to check that [his|her] devs are
35 fixing things in a technically correct manner? From the "Gentoo
36 Developer Handbook":
37
38 "Team leads are responsible for organizing the developer in their team
39 and coordinating releases and also resolving issues within the team, as
40 well as improving products on the basis of feedback from the community."
41
42 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=5
43
44 I think a bug report qualifies as feedback from the community and
45 verifying that a bug fix actually works would qualify as improving products.
46
47 > Dear Nathan,
48 >
49 > In your spare time, could you please begin testing every new problem
50 > report filed as of now for validity and tag them appropriately? This
51 > small, incremental move should greatly improve our QA process. Thanks boo.
52
53 Again, my suggestion attempts to improve the process farther down
54 stream; the problem of validating new bugs and tagging them
55 appropriately is a separate matter.
56
57 Also, suggesting that I do all the work is silly. It suggests, to me at
58 least, that you can't find anything wrong with what I'm suggesting, but
59 for some reason or another you're unwilling to change your working
60 habits. So you throw up the "if its such a good idea, you do it... ALL
61 of it!" nonsense. Obviously, no process (including the current Gentoo
62 bugzilla process being used daily) will work without participation from
63 most of the people involved. There will *always* be people who disagree,
64 and there will *always* be people who skirt the system in some way.
65 That's just life.
66
67 > Note: I am not denying there could be a (small) policy problem, I'm just
68 > pointing out that the proposed solution is unworkable.
69
70 Great! Can you think of any ways to make my idea workable? What about a
71 completely different solution?
72
73 To restate the problem: When a dev submits a fix for a bug, it should be
74 verified and peer reviewed before the bug is marked done.
75
76 Nathan
77
86 --