From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: INVALID -> NOCHANGE in bugzilla
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:46:53
1 On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:14:38 +0100
2 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:34:21 +0100
5 > "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > People reporting bugs often get annoyed when their bug is marked
8 > > INVALID; especially when they're relatively new to the Gentoo
9 > > Experience. We've all seen it many times, I'm sure.
10 > >
11 > > Arguably no bug is invalid in the normal sense - if someone raises
12 > > an issue, they have an issue, regardless what we think of it. To
13 > > that end I'd like to propose bugzilla be reconfigured to use the
14 > > phrase "NOCHANGE" instead of "INVALID". NOCHANGE would indicate
15 > > that whatever the original issue, no change is needed on our part to
16 > > resolve the issue.
17 >
18 > _If_ it's changed then please to something else, NOCHANGE would
19 > overlap with other values (WONTFIX, CANTFIX, WORKSFORME) and isn't
20 > that obvious to me at least. A fake resolution that's mentioned on
21 > IRC from time to time is NOTABUG which would fit better here.
22
23 Well, I meant for NOCHANGE to be "no change needed", but figured
24 NOCHANGEREQUIRED is a bit longwinded. It implies the issue is
25 understood, it has been explained to the bug reporter, but requires no
26 change to anything:
27
28 CANTFIX: the problem exists, but no sensible way to fix it exists
29 WONTFIX: the problem exists, but for some reason it won't be fixed
30 WORKSFORME: can't replicate
31
32 NOCHANGE: no change needed
33
34 The problem I have with NOTABUG is pretty much the same problem I have
35 with INVALID - it's not as severe, but it still does the same thing to
36 the user (i.e. slaps him with a wet fish rather than a frozen one).
39 Kevin F. Quinn