From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:19:43
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > ps. I would also like to suggest that the devrels looks at things like
3 > micro bans. That is, banning someone for a couple of days from sending to
4 > the mailing list. This could be effective against e.g. people who continue
5 > to feed trolls after being warned not to do so.
6
7 I think this is a great idea, in addition to whatever else gets decided; it
8 would certainly have stopped me in my tracks, and made me think, wrt to my
9 recent `outburst'.
10
11 Re: IRC I think it is already pretty effectively moderated.
12
13 As for the Code of Conduct I think it's a good thing, and neatly sets out
14 the objectives and gives clear warning of enforcement. I like the fact that
15 as well as pointing out what is unacceptable, it also gives positive
16 examples.
17
18 I do think devs need to lead by example; as was said in the recent council
19 meeting:
20 "in *all* of these flamewars/problems, devs are usually involved... it's
21 never really a case of two users going at it"
22 (I really do think that's because users are so well moderated on the
23 forums.)
24
25 Maybe there should be an ethical/behavioural element to the dev-exam, so
26 that prospective devs see that being able to work with others is needed as
27 much as technical proficiency, dunno. But I'm glad things appear to be
28 changing for the better.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list