From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:35:11
1 On Tuesday 13 March 2007 13:05, Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:
2
3 > I wrote to Christel earlier today about this. But AFAIR we usually have at
4 > least a week to discuss such proposals. Apart from that enforcing our users
5 > this code of conduct with only three days of discussion is not what I find
6 > user friendly.
7
8 First of all, I think most part of the code is just common sense. That's also
9 the reason that it is not explicit about many things. Strictly defined rules
10 don't apply in all situations, and jerks find ways around them or to argue
11 that the rule does not apply to them.
12
13 The modus operandi should be: "We (council) define what is acceptable
14 behaviour. If you don't like it, vote us off and get a "better" council.
15 Until that time, comply. To me that is the only way to avoid free for all. We
16 have seen that taping things over doesn't work.
19 > Before getting into any detail, perhaps in another mail, I have one
20 > objection to this proposal.
21 >
22 > I think it is a waste of time giving more paper rules for Devrel to enforce
23 > as long as they are in effect powerless to stop Gentoo developers
24 > from bad behaviour. As long as we as a group of developers can't even live
25 > up to the code of conduct we have agreed upon I don't think it is wise to
26 > enforce such conduct on the rest of the community.
27
28 I don't see how this is an objection. It sound more like a remark or
29 observation. Naturally the enforcement needs to happen and infrastructure
30 must be supportive to that (e.g. by providing do-it-yourself tools to
31 devrel).
34 > I do support more power to Devrel but lets try to keep the house clean
35 > before we take care of the garden.
36
37 Well, I don't consider -dev to be our garden, but rather gentoo's living with
38 an open door policy. Most participants are either devs, or are close to being
39 devs. In any case they are not general users.
40
41 Paul
42
43 ps. I would also like to suggest that the devrels looks at things like micro
44 bans. That is, banning someone for a couple of days from sending to the
45 mailing list. This could be effective against e.g. people who continue to
46 feed trolls after being warned not to do so.
49 Paul de Vrieze
50 Gentoo Developer
51 Mail: pauldv@g.o
52 Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net