From: Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:04:20
1 On Tuesday 13 March 2007 13:32, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 >
3 > First of all, I think most part of the code is just common sense. That's
4 > also the reason that it is not explicit about many things. Strictly defined
5 > rules don't apply in all situations, and jerks find ways around them or to
6 > argue that the rule does not apply to them.
7 I agree.
8 -However I fail to see which channels are affected and which are not?
9 -Who's going to enfore it(I just presumed it to be Devrel but it could also be
10 the Council itself)?
11 -What are the appeal options if any?
12
13 And with only three days for commenting this seems like a rushed proposal that
14 is better postponed to the next meeting. AFAIR we've had similar issues
15 postponed just because of this deadline. Let's give all devs and near devs a
16 chance to speak up.
17
18 > The modus operandi should be: "We (council) define what is acceptable
19 > behaviour. If you don't like it, vote us off and get a "better" council.
20 > Until that time, comply. To me that is the only way to avoid free for all.
21 > We have seen that taping things over doesn't work.
22 So the current situation is: We have both devs and non-devs disregard normal
23 code of conduct. We have a written policy about dev behaviour but haven't
24 enforced it on several occasions so now we are going to try regulating the
25 users instead? Shouldn't we just try to behave ourselves before trying to
26 make others behave?
27
28 (no flames or blames intended, it's just how I see it)
29
30 > > Before getting into any detail, perhaps in another mail, I have one
31 > > objection to this proposal.
32 >
33 > I don't see how this is an objection. It sound more like a remark or
34 > observation. Naturally the enforcement needs to happen and infrastructure
35 > must be supportive to that (e.g. by providing do-it-yourself tools to
36 > devrel).
37 As long as Devrel doesn't have the power to enforce it I don't see a point. If
38 the Council has the power to enforce this fairly, then great.
39
40 > > I do support more power to Devrel but lets try to keep the house clean
41 > > before we take care of the garden.
42 >
43 > Well, I don't consider -dev to be our garden, but rather gentoo's living
44 > with an open door policy. Most participants are either devs, or are close
45 > to being devs. In any case they are not general users.
46 As for -dev you're right. But again the proposal is so vague it only mentions
47 "Gentoo's official communication infrastructure". I take this to mean all
48 mailing lists, forums, IRC. So in my eyes it will affect general users as
49 well.
50
51 > ps. I would also like to suggest that the devrels looks at things like
52 > micro bans. That is, banning someone for a couple of days from sending to
53 > the mailing list. This could be effective against e.g. people who continue
54 > to feed trolls after being warned not to do so.
55 Seems like a better and less heavy handed approach to me.
58 Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen (Jaervosz)