From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:18:13
1 On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 14:01 +0100, Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 13 March 2007 13:32, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > >
4 > > First of all, I think most part of the code is just common sense. That's
5 > > also the reason that it is not explicit about many things. Strictly defined
6 > > rules don't apply in all situations, and jerks find ways around them or to
7 > > argue that the rule does not apply to them.
8 > I agree.
9 > -However I fail to see which channels are affected and which are not?
10
11 We should be enforcing this on all channels. It shouldn't be "OK" to be
12 an asshole on one medium and not another.
13
14 > -What are the appeal options if any?
15
16 Council.
17
18 > So the current situation is: We have both devs and non-devs disregard normal
19 > code of conduct. We have a written policy about dev behaviour but haven't
20 > enforced it on several occasions so now we are going to try regulating the
21 > users instead? Shouldn't we just try to behave ourselves before trying to
22 > make others behave?
23
24 Uhh, no. This gets enforced on devs and users alike.
25
26 > As long as Devrel doesn't have the power to enforce it I don't see a point. If
27 > the Council has the power to enforce this fairly, then great.
28
29 As many people have stated before, the Council really has as much power
30 as its willing to take. Up until now, we've been very leery of taking
31 on any form of power to reduce the chance of people calling us some kind
32 of cabal. At the same time, we've realized that we were elected to do
33 *exactly this sort of thing* so we've decided collectively to "step up"
34 and take charge. If people don't like it, they can vote for other
35 people next time around. ;]
38 > As for -dev you're right. But again the proposal is so vague it only mentions
39 > "Gentoo's official communication infrastructure". I take this to mean all
40 > mailing lists, forums, IRC. So in my eyes it will affect general users as
41 > well.
42
43 I look at anything with a gentoo.org address as our house. While some
44 might disagree with this statement, I'm pretty sure this is the stance
45 we're taking on it.
48 Chris Gianelloni
49 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
50 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
51 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
52 Gentoo Foundation