From: Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:03:46
1 On Tuesday 13 March 2007 15:11, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > We should be enforcing this on all channels. It shouldn't be "OK" to be
3 > an asshole on one medium and not another.
4 Ack.
5
6 > > -What are the appeal options if any?
7 >
8 > Council.
9 Then it should perhaps be mentioned in the proposal.
10
11 > > So the current situation is: We have both devs and non-devs disregard
12 > > normal code of conduct. We have a written policy about dev behaviour but
13 > > haven't enforced it on several occasions so now we are going to try
14 > > regulating the users instead? Shouldn't we just try to behave ourselves
15 > > before trying to make others behave?
16 >
17 > Uhh, no. This gets enforced on devs and users alike.
18 I wouldn't bring it up in the first place, but we've had previous examples
19 with devs calling other devs not so kind things and to my knowledge it didn't
20 result in any action. I seem to remember a rather active dev taking it not so
21 lightly, resulting in one less dev and no action from Devrel/Council.
24 > > As long as Devrel doesn't have the power to enforce it I don't see a
25 > > point. If the Council has the power to enforce this fairly, then great.
26 >
27 > As many people have stated before, the Council really has as much power
28 > as its willing to take. Up until now, we've been very leery of taking
29 > on any form of power to reduce the chance of people calling us some kind
30 > of cabal. At the same time, we've realized that we were elected to do
31 > *exactly this sort of thing* so we've decided collectively to "step up"
32 > and take charge. If people don't like it, they can vote for other
33 > people next time around. ;]
34 I look forward to seeing that. However given that the current Council have
35 been active for 8+ months with no action on this subject, I don't see any
36 harm in giving proper time to discuss this? In the mean time we could just
37 try to enforce the dev Etiquette policy that we've had a long time.
38
39 > > As for -dev you're right. But again the proposal is so vague it only
40 > > mentions "Gentoo's official communication infrastructure". I take this to
41 > > mean all mailing lists, forums, IRC. So in my eyes it will affect general
42 > > users as well.
43 >
44 > I look at anything with a gentoo.org address as our house. While some
45 > might disagree with this statement, I'm pretty sure this is the stance
46 > we're taking on it.
47
48 So this doesn't apply to the Gentoo IRC channels?
51 Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen (Jaervosz)