From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets in the tree
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 15:53:19
1 On 08/14/2013 11:44 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 23:41:56 +0800
3 > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 08/14/2013 09:02 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >>>>> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Michael Palimaka
6 >>>>> <kensington@g.o> wrote: Right now, however,
7 >>>>> it might be useful if only to get a sense for how they're being
8 >>>>> used, trade ideas, etc.
9 >>
10 >>> No, we can't. Sets are portage-specific, the tree needs to follow
11 >>> PMS.
12 >>
13 >> So fix PMS to reflect reality. Again.
14 >
15 > I think you're misunderstanding the point of a standard here.
16 >
17 Well, it should reflect reality.
18
19 PMS is still broken as much as it does not reflect the state of portage
20 before PMS was written, and we've had to patch it up a few times to make
21 it coherent, plus it is still lacking half the things that would make it
22 useful as a standard.
23
24 Your academic interpretation of standard as a platonic ideal
25 disconnected from reality serves no purpose.