From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: consistent Gentoo tool names
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:22:02
1 On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 03:42, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > My opinion: I'm for a common prefix, but I don't like the gentoo- part.
3 > Reason: I don't think a gentoo- prefix would benefit so much if we
4 > already have a common config- and update- prefix, it just looks silly to
5 > me. Even in your specification you omit the gentoo- prefix for easier
6 > reading. It just makes the names longer, it doesn't help one bit with
7 > tab completion and it makes stuff gentoo specific, where do we draw a
8 > line between Gentoo specific tools and tools from packages that
9 > originated from Gentoo (portage being the big one here), should we
10 > rename emerge to gentoo-emerge? Maybe it makes some (IMO very limited)
11 > sense for new users, but for experienced users it's just more typing.
12
13 Another naming idea hadn't occurred to me until your and Thomas's posts.
14
15 I took options 2 and 3 and tried to get the benefits of the short names
16 and the Gentoo specificity and clarity -- this is what I got:
17
18 Given that many of Gentoo's tools start with e* already, perhaps
19 econfig-* and eupdate-* would be a better idea. This keeps the shorter
20 length while still being very obviously a Gentoo tool.
21
22 The downside is that "e<tab><tab>" still gets you a huge list of bins,
23 while "gentoo-<tab<tab>" gets you _only_ the tools. You need to type
24 "econfig-" and "eupdate-" on different terms at the same time to get the
25 ease of searchability the gentoo- prefix gives.
26
27 Comments?
28
29 Thanks,