From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 09:04:05
1 On 9 February 2016 at 18:27, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > all the vitriolic attacks i get about eudev come from the gentoo
3 > community. outside of this community i get praise.
6 In case my earlier messages stating a desire to exercise much caution
7 gave the wrong impression, I just want to state for the record I think
8 its awesome eudev exists, and I think its awesome other distro's are
9 using it.
10
11 Just when it comes to "Change the defaults", I want to be certain
12 about the path we're setting ourselves up for on this very important
13 component, because here, a change of defaults paves a broader path for
14 eudev to be a potential leading competition to systemd.
15
16 Because if we do that, I feel we must be so sure of ourselves that
17 eudev can be a profitable choice for at least a moderately long term,
18 even in the event we get no more support from the systemd codebase.
19
20 Having it in tree and having users who know what they're doing being
21 able to choose their own risk factors and say "yeah, eudev is the
22 right choice for what I'm doing" is one thing.
23
24 But stating implicitly that "Hey, this is the default", this needs to
25 be the *best* recommendation we can make based on all the other
26 factors and other defaults Gentoo uses.
27
28 Because new users *will* be inclined to pick the default, and
29 *existing* users of the *current* default are likely to see the
30 default change, and reason "well, the default has changed, so the new
31 default is the new best thing", and will be inclined to switch.
32
33 And the worst thing we could have is a combination of bad defaults
34 that leads new users to have a poor first experience because they used
35 all the default recommendations, and their system made magic smoke
36 instead of booting.
37
38 In short, to change *this* default, it seems pertinent that we *know*
39 that the change we're making *is* better and a more reliable long-term
40 choice than the *current* default, and if there is *any reasonable
41 doubt*, we should delay changing until that reasonable doubt is
42 expunged.
45 Kent
46
47 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL