From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re:[gentoo-dev] addition of optional dependencies to (gtk+-2.4.1)
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 23:45:24
1 On Thursday May 13 2004 9:38, foser wrote:
2
3 > So for your specific case we should introduce new USEflags that actually
4 > make the lib partially less usable ? Try to hold on to reality here.
5 > What makes you think that the xmms plug-in devs won't update to the new
6 > filechooser in time ? I wonder why you even update gtk+ if it's only for
7 > this dep, that's pretty useless if it works ok and normal portage
8 > behaviour doesn't update it in this case (-vup).
9
10 > Yeah the 'lack of choice' really is there, I mean we prevent you here
11 > from having an unusable filechooser. That's a tough decision to make.
12 > And yes.. in this one special case where you don't really need certain
13 > deps at this point (you still might at some point) it's such a major
14 > thing to inject a package. I mean that's really a lot of work to keep up
15 > with. No for the sake of all of Gentoo we rather introduce another USE
16 > flag for this.
17
18 First of all, I never said for my specific case. one person put in a bug for
19 filechooser icons, at least 2 people (including me) asked it be removed. So
20 not just for me. I should just sit back and like that you added more deps,
21 without saying anything? Apparently I'm not alone in need of a grip on
22 reality. Also in your first paragraph you say 'partially less usable lib' and
23 in your second paragraph 'unusable filechooser'. There has been no evidence
24 that the lack of icons or libxml2 or any of the "new" deps have rendered any
25 part of the lib unusable. Im quite sure that files to be chosen are the same
26 files regardless of whether or not they show a pretty icon or not. As for the
27 lame "we have too many USE flags" argument- you have use flags for tiff and
28 jpeg.. the only packages really listed by gtk.org as deps. The message coming
29 across now is "my make stuff pretty deps are not optional, but the required
30 deps determined by the upstream authors are optional." Hmmm.
33 ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.4/dependencies/README
37 Chuck Brewer
38 Registered Linux User #284015
39 Get my gpg public key at pgp.mit.edu!! Encrypted e-mail preferred.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list