From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re:[gentoo-dev] addition of optional dependencies to (gtk+-2.4.1)
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:21:28
1 On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 16:55 -0700, C. Brewer wrote:
2 > First of all, I never said for my specific case. one person put in a bug for
3 > filechooser icons, at least 2 people (including me) asked it be removed. So
4 > not just for me. I should just sit back and like that you added more deps,
5 > without saying anything? Apparently I'm not alone in need of a grip on
6 > reality.
7
8 Well, I'm starting to lose it here as well. Pointless assumption based
9 jabbering that I have to take for serious discussion. I'm wasted.
10 Yeah 2 people at the start, it seems at least one by now got his senses
11 together and sees the point.
12
13 > Also in your first paragraph you say 'partially less usable lib' and
14 > in your second paragraph 'unusable filechooser'. There has been no evidence
15 > that the lack of icons or libxml2 or any of the "new" deps have rendered any
16 > part of the lib unusable. Im quite sure that files to be chosen are the same
17 > files regardless of whether or not they show a pretty icon or not.
18
19 Have you tried it ? Apparently you didn't.
20
21 > As for the
22 > lame "we have too many USE flags" argument- you have use flags for tiff and
23 > jpeg.. the only packages really listed by gtk.org as deps.
24
25 I don't think I used that as an argument not to do it. I wouldn't use it
26 as the only or main reason ever.
27
28 > The message coming
29 > across now is "my make stuff pretty deps are not optional, but the required
30 > deps determined by the upstream authors are optional." Hmmm.
31
32 What a load of uninformed crap. The added deps are not there for
33 prettyness sake, as we've said from the start it is a usability issue.
34 And the deps determined by the upstream authors _are_ optional if you
35 could care enough to read the source. But hey we at least we can scrap 2
36 USE flags now, tiff and jpeg are non-optional because you say so. That
37 makes room for some silly new USE flag for the sake of 'choice'.
38
39 > ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.4/dependencies/README
40
41 Hmm as a dev you wouldn't ever use readme's but just check the source
42 for deps : readme's/specs/etc. tend not to be accurate & updated. See,
43 this readme here you use to prove your point is dated 2002. Go figure.
44
45 Anyway, I'm about done here. I can't take this thread serious in any way
46 anymore.
47
48 - foser