From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re:[gentoo-dev] addition of optional dependencies to (gtk+-2.4.1)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 16:38:41
1 On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 23:37 -0400, cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net wrote:
2 > I had put that I would never see it because all gtk+ is being used for on this
3 > box is to run gkrellm2, on the occasion when I'm running it. The only time I
4 > get file choices are through the xmms plugin, otherwise I can recall no other
5 > instances. This is why I'd personally choose not to have the icons, or the
6 > libxml2,etc., as gtk+ itself is a heavy enough dep for that one app.
7
8 So for your specific case we should introduce new USEflags that actually
9 make the lib partially less usable ? Try to hold on to reality here.
10 What makes you think that the xmms plug-in devs won't update to the new
11 filechooser in time ? I wonder why you even update gtk+ if it's only for
12 this dep, that's pretty useless if it works ok and normal portage
13 behaviour doesn't update it in this case (-vup).
14
15 > I hold no
16 > bias against plain gtk+ users to have their icons, as I have been that route
17 > in the past, and it is a fine base for those applications, and the sprucing up
18 > would help. I have also thought about liquidx's idea of injecting the
19 > packages, but that does cause minor extra maintenence, and the idea of
20 > injecting means (to me) that we need to inject because of lack of choice.
21
22 Yeah the 'lack of choice' really is there, I mean we prevent you here
23 from having an unusable filechooser. That's a tough decision to make.
24 And yes.. in this one special case where you don't really need certain
25 deps at this point (you still might at some point) it's such a major
26 thing to inject a package. I mean that's really a lot of work to keep up
27 with. No for the sake of all of Gentoo we rather introduce another USE
28 flag for this.
29
30 > Cutting this short, I would have no objection to a local USE of "filechooser"
31 > or "icons" so that each interested party can make their own choice.
32
33 No we know you have no objection to that, isn't that what this whole
34 thread is about? You make it sound like you've gone a long way to get to
35 a compromise, but you are still at the same point.
36
37 - foser