From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Prioritising contact information in metadata.xml
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:06:41
1 Hi developers and other users,
4 since jakub[1] went completely missing a few weeks ago a few others and
5 I have been wrangling the bugs. I've heard rumours that this isn't
6 working smoothly yet. Of course most of that can be fully blamed on
7 bugzilla itself, but there are some things that need to be pointed out
8 or discussed.
9
10 One thing I'd like to point out is that if you don't agree with a
11 specific mangle, just CC whoever did it on the bug and explain.
12 If you don't give me the feedback, I can never know how you would
13 rather have wanted to get bugs delivered.
14
15 One other thing is that it is sometimes difficult to figure out to
16 whom a bug should be assigned, because metadata.xml for many packages
17 simply isn't clear. If you list a few developers as well as a herd,
18 does that mean you want bugs assigned to the herd or to a single
19 developer who happens to be in that list? Some packages list several
20 herds in metadata.xml. Bugs can be assigned to just one address
21 (or you get "Assignee: jer@g.o,bug-wranglers@g.o did not
22 match anything").
23
24 [2] has nothing explicit to say on this subject, sadly. It seems some
25 editors of metadata.xml use the file as a sort of CREDITS or AUTHORS.
26 While that may seem OK, the file is intended to give information about
27 ebuilds. ChangeLog is intended to credit authors (specifically
28 mentioning ebuild authors and contributors[3]).
29
30 So maybe this needs to be layed out more specifically in the Developer
31 Handbook, or maybe this needs to be discussed more. I can tell that
32 from my end, and possibly from the viewpoint of any user who is seeking
33 support contacts, listing more than one contact in metadata.xml is
34 rather pointless, unless descriptions are added so that it's clear
35 which component of a package is supported by whom.
36
37 All in all I guess we need to make the rules up as we go and decide
38 policy later. I suggest the first herd/address in the list should be
39 the primary contact. If you don't agree with that, please consult
40 metadata.xml for the package or reassign to bug-wranglers with an
41 explanation (and perhaps a promise to quickly change metadata.xml. :)
44 Kind regards,
45 JeR
48 [1] Where is the old bugger? Anyone know? On a strictly human level, I
49 am getting quite worried.
50 [2]
51 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=4
52 [3]