From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE flags documentation
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:22:49
1 Jose Luis Rivero wrote:
2 > Hi all:
3 >
4 > I've read on the planet the recently included support to document USE
5 > flags in metadata. Seems like it was an idea from flameeyes and cardoe,
6 > discussed on the planet [1][2] and performed by -infra (bug #199788).
7 >
8 > While planet is a good medium to share ideas and get contributors, seems to
9 > me like we need a more official way to discuss this kind of 'global'
10 > ideas before make them real. Or at least drop a note on -dev-announce
11 > explaining the new feature and telling devs and users this is now
12 > officially supported.
13 >
14 Thank you for taking the time to announce it to gentoo-dev since I
15 haven't had the time with my family being here for the holidays to do
16 such. I'll take care of the e-mail to gentoo-dev-announce though.
17 > I'm not asking for an extra overhead of 'bureaucracy' (write specs,
18 > mailling @dev, send to the council, etc.) but a bit more of communication
19 > would be appreciated:
20 >
21 All the above is completely unnecessary and I would be happy to discuss
22 details with you off list.
23
24 > Is the feature ready to be used? Is there any kind of documentation
25 > (aside of DTD)? It will replace use.desc?
26 >
27 Well the first question you answered yourself. You linked to a post I
28 wrote describing live commits I made to the tree using this feature. As
29 far as documentation, you will find that in your Gentoo Developer's
30 Handbook [3], but most likely you'll say "But Doug, I don't see anything
31 on these new changes." That's because the new changes have not been
32 updated yet, again with the holiday's about it takes a little bit to get
33 things done. Once the documentation is updated I had planned on sending
34 an e-mail to gentoo-dev and gentoo-dev-announce.
35
36 As far as replacing use.desc, that is doubtful but a possibility of
37 replacing use.local.desc is within consideration. However this would be
38 in the distant future and we would have to see how the new features are
39 used and evolve.
40 > Thanks.
41 >
42 > [1] http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2007/11/24/proposing-more-use-flag-documentation