From: Stroller <root@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Good Work, Lads!
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:40:12
1 Since installing Gentoo I've been intending to learn enough bash to start
2 writing ebuilds, but somehow haven't managed to get around to it. I've been
3 reading gentoo-dev all that time, a couple of months now, although I've
4 rarely posted. I guess I'm an enthusiastic end-user, who has learned &
5 benefited much since first installing Gentoo.
6
7 With the flurry of posting over the last couple of days, I think it's a good
8 opportunity for me to say:
9 WELL DONE, ALL THE GENTOO DEVS. A DAMN GOOD JOB YOU'VE MADE OF A DISTRO.
10
11 Although I rarely contribute myself, I keep seeing the same topics coming up
12 here again & again:
13 How about a different front-end / GUI for Portage or installation?
14 How can we improve on the /usr/portage file tree?
15 How about better descriptions?
16 How about binaries..?
17 This doesn't work for me. How do I fix it?
18 When will 1.4 be ready?
19
20 With many of these questions, I can see that the helpful folks making the
21 suggestions haven't been subscribed to this list as long as I have, and I
22 can imagine it must be frustrating for the devs to have to say: "Well, we've
23 talked about that, we're working on it, just bear with us and we'll get it
24 done as soon as we can".
25
26 It must be a bummer for you guys when folks post "why don't we do it
27 differently", when they haven't undertaken large projects (I personally have
28 no concept of what is involved, but can only hazard a guess) and may not be
29 around in 3 months saying: "well, you remember that big suggestion I made a
30 while back... here's it is for you, the result of hours of work, ready to be
31 incorporated into the tree".
32
33 I personally don't give a damn when 1.4 is "released" (although I appreciate
34 others comments that it'll be a milestone for the Gentoo), and I would
35 imagine the mention of it in recent threads might be quite frustrating for
36 the devs; I can imagine that end-users asking when 1.4 will be ready is like
37 them saying "I don't care about all the hard work that you're putting into
38 this project, I'm interested in superficial stuff here".
39
40 And for anyone who thinks that a desktop manager like KDE or Gnome is an
41 essential part of a working Unix distribution... and that you "need"
42 binaries for anything beyond stage 3... well, *cough*... luxury!.. tch!..
43 in my day we had to walk 3 miles in the snow, barefoot! We had to eat coal
44 for breakfast, then install Irix before class. Tch! Don't know they're born,
45 these kids with their fancy namby-pamby frambuffer logo'd bootable-CDs.
46
47 Anyway, I just wanted to post & say that there are some of us (I am sure
48 MANY of us) who aren't always so vocal, but who think that the Gentoo
49 development team are doing a great job. I think Gentoo is *exactly* on track
50 & focussed in the right direction.
51
52 Any time I see a good suggestion made here, I know that it's the sort of
53 thing that he dev team treat seriously, and which will be incorporated into
54 Gentoo, just as soon as other priorities are settled.
55
56 Many thanks, guys,
57
58 Stroller.