From: Guy Martin <gmsoft@g.o>
To: foser <foser@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:17:51
1 On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 02:21:57 +0200
2 foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 21:31 +0200, Guy Martin wrote:
5 > > I've been running it 1 week with ~5Gb of dl on two box before
6 > > marking it stable and it still never crashed but I had some minor
7 > > problems with the current x86 stable one.
8 > >
9 > > So, I did *extensive* QA on this packages as I do for every other
10 > > package. When I say extensive, that means I do everything wich I
11 > > have the time and the ressources for. I don't have thousands of
12 > > users behind me to test stuff.
13 > >
14 > > Also, I marked this directly stable because I don't have time and
15 > > manpower to first mark it ~hppa and then hppa. For thoses
16 > > non-critical packages, that's the way I proceed. Give me 10 more
17 > > devs, 50000 users some fast box and I'll apply to policy regarding
18 > > the testing stuff for all packages.
19 >
20 > So you do agree that arch maintainers do not have the same time spend
21 > to attend to a certain package
22
23 Yes, we are ~3 working on the hppa port. How could we ?
24
25 > and you weren't aware of the fact that
26 > the >2.5.16 version was not marked stable for a reason ?
27
28 For this particular packages, I didn't really checked because it's ocaml
29 and the code is compiled by arch specific stuff in ocaml. In this
30 particular case, I had to port the hppa generation code of ocaml to
31 linux which wasn't suffering of any particular bug (according the ocaml
32 BTS).
35 > Both really are statements to my plea. For you the frontline testing
36 > by another arch with userbase should keep you out of the wind for most
37 > bugs.
38 >
39 > Another interesting point you raise here is that usually the
40 > 'maintainers arch' (mostly x86 atm) does have the backing of a large
41 > userbase to test, which will also improve QA.
42
43 That's how I see it for most packages. The script I coded
44 (http://dev.gentoo.org/~gmsoft/tools/imlate) checks stable version of
45 a packages on a given arch against the stable version on another arch
46 (x86 per default).
47
48 The point is that this list is only a starting point for me. For
49 packages which I'm not very familiar with, I follow x86 unless I got a
50 good reason to do otherwise (bug reported for hppa only, ...).
51
52 For other packages, I prefer and sometimes must use another stable
53 version than the x86 one.
54
55 So it's a case by case aproach.
58 Guy Martin
59 Gentoo Linux - HPPA port Lead / IPv6 team
60 Lug Charleroi (Belgium)