From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in virtual/ffmpeg: ffmpeg-9.ebuild ChangeLog ffmpeg-0.10.2-r1.ebuild
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 21:41:15
1 On Thursday 07 of February 2013 06:52:44 Peter Stuge wrote:
2
3 > Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
4 > > we as gentoo will provide both while preffered default will be what
5 > > major distros use.
6 >
7 > What kind of careless mainstream attitude is that? Really?
8
9 Quite the opposite, decision to use implementation A over B was taken with
10 utmost care for user in mind.
11
12 > I mean: You are saying that given two options, Gentoo will do
13 > whatever "major distros" are doing.
14 >
15 > (Never mind that Gentoo *is* a major distro, and whatever Gentoo does
16 > generates collective bias just like whatever any other distro does.)
17
18 We are not, let's not go too far, please.
19
20 > Oops, I forgot - that would mean actually having to *get informed* first.
21 >
22 > "We as gentoo" must certainly avoid getting informed at all
23 > cost!!!!111oneone
24 >
25 > Are you *really* quite serious? Please explain yourself.
26 >
27 > > If you disagree with that and you don't want your lead to make that
28 > > decision
29 > Hm? Where can I learn more about the "lead" ? So it is a single
30 > person's decision, and not "we as gentoo" that decides? I'd like to
31 > understand how this decision making process actually works. Does
32 > anyone know?
33
34 It depends - in distro-wide, package-tree-wide matters we have Gentoo Council.
35 In local matters like this - who does the job decides. Tomáš does the job - he
36 decides.
37
38 > > which you and I both don't want.
39 >
40 > Guess what - I have been on the receiving end of the arguably
41 > insanely lame mainstream attitude that you support, and honestly
42 >
43 > it fucking broke my heart
44 > that people working on Linux distributions (it wasn't just Gentoo,
45 > it was *every* distro) would be so genuinely uninterested in what
46 > happens upstream, especially at a time where a downstream decision
47 > may carry a bit of extra weight.
48 >
49 > I do not want that.
50 >
51 > (Around the time this happened to me I wrote roughly the same in a
52 > private email to developers of another distribution which shall
53 > remain unnamed. I found that email in a pastebin a few days later.)
56 > It is long since clear to me that I have much too high expectations
57 > on people.
58 >
59 > But are you *REALLY* not able to do *any* better than "default will
60 > be what major distros use" ?
61 >
62 > Seriously?
63
64 Seriously you should take a deep breath, walk a dog maybe :)
65
66 regards
67 MM