From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What's going on with the tmpfiles eclasses?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 12:53:33
1 On Wed, 2019-04-24 at 08:42 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 4/24/19 8:24 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > > which will still work (albeit with a warning) if you somehow manage not
4 > > > to have virtual/tmpfiles installed. So, if it's important, I think we
5 > > > could drop the RDEPEND="virtual/tmpfiles" from tmpfiles.eclass.
6 > >
7 > > Programs depend on tmpfiles being actually processed (either at install
8 > > time or on boot). If you don't have the deps, you'll end up with
9 > > missing directories, and programs that don't work out of the box.
12 > I get where you're coming from, but then shouldn't systemd.eclass also
13 > depend on systemd for its systemd-tmpfiles implementation? Otherwise,
14 > you can make exactly the same argument about systemd_tmpfiles_create().
17 systemd.eclass has more than one purpose, and therefore such dep didn't
18 belong there (ebuilds should take care of the dependencies when using
19 tmpfiles logic from it). tmpfiles.eclass on the other hand has a single
20 purpose, so we've solved the problem by adding an RDEPEND there.
23 Best regards,
24 Michał Górny